Monday, April 9, 2018

Lap of Luxury

Green living. Not unless I have to.
I'm still receiving donations and will be up-to-date with my landlord tomorrow.

Here's one of the things I don't talk about often because it gives people an idea of my level of penury. I still struggle with pride, which is, of course, why I talk about the sin of pride so much; I know it well.

When I get donations in excess of being able to pay my bills, I'm able to do one thing that greatly increases my quality of life. And that one thing is ...

Go to the laundromat.

I moved into this apartment building in 2015 and it's the first time in a long time that I haven't had in-building access to a washer and a dryer.

Air Force dormitories always have washing facilities -- at least when I was in. And, when I had my house, I had an awesome stacked washer-dryer. The washer motor sounded like Serenity running from the Alliance po-po. Even when I lived in homeless housing, there were washers and dryers, though they were not free.

It's amazing the things we take for granted.

To save money, I have been handwashing almost all of my clothes and have developed a system of washing a few at a time. But sometimes I let that system lag because handwashing clothes is a huge pain for a First World girl.

My life could be worse in many ways, which is what I constantly remind myself when I need to do something that I hate.

So, because I have a few extra dollars, I'm going to the laundromat today. It's smaller and cleaner than most. The attendant always greets me happily, though I get by there only every couple of months. And there's wi-fi.

You've allowed me to skip the handwashing clothing system for a bit.

I just thought you should know.

Every Tuesday and Saturday, I blog at the award-winning DaTechGuyBlog. Latest post: An Incomplete Plan.

When you hit the Tip Jar, it helps pays for: A Roof Over My Head, Food, Gasoline, Car Insurance, the writing of My Next Book(s), and Utilities--especially Internet and COFFEE! Yes, coffee is a utility.



No comments: